Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sock knitting

In Colonial times, knitting socks was one of many tasks of women and children. If you were wealthy, you hired someone to knit socks for you. By World War II, sock knitting was considered a patriotic endeavor. Today, sock knitting is a favorite activity of those who knit.. It is a portable project ( I knit them during meetings, on planes, in the car, in waiting rooms, etc) and the yarn selection is amazing. It is especially fun if you have someone to knit them for who really, really loves them. The sock above is for my Mom. She asked if I would make her a pair of brown socks, and so, with Mother's Day as my target date, I'm hoping to finish the second sock in time to mail them both. I stress this, as last Christmas, I made socks for my mom, brother, nephew, niece and sister-in-law, but the last sock had to be mailed after New Year's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment