Sunday, January 27, 2013

Winter white, winter bright

 When winter is here, we stay inside whenever possible. Not because it is cold outside, but because it is so cozy and nice in our home. Built in 1907, it has been our home for 35 years. It was built by a couple to enjoy in their retirement. Mr. Farrell worked as a railroad engineer, his largest work being the Laraedo Texas to Mexico line. They had two children, neither of whom lived in the house. Their son became a lawyer and lived in Cleveland with his wife and two sons. Those two sons became Jesuit priests. Their daughter never married.

  Ron and I had the honor of meeting the two sons when they were both in their 90's. We invited them in for a tour of their grandparent's home. We had a great time hearing about their frequent visits to the house until the death of their grandfather in 1919. They were 7 and 10 years old the last time they had been in the house.
Being avid collectors of any and all dog related items, today I gathered some of the collection together and filled a case in the front parlor. This is just the tip of the iceberg of what we have on display.
In the corner of the kitchen, I decided to bring out some of the collection of white china we have. I've been looking at white kitchens in the decorating magazines and am considering painting all of the cupboards white and getting a crushed glass counter top in white. We had to replace our refrigerator and dishwasher recently and selected white instead of stainless steel.



Every time I go to an estate sale, I buy white linen tablecloths. It reminded me of the snow and I thought it would be a nice way to brighten things up at this time of year. Next I'm heading to the bedrooms to put white sheets and white comforters on each bed. I think the winter white look will be just the thing for the next few months to keep us happy and contented with the look of snow inside and out.



2 comments:

  1. Lovely, I miss your beautiful home... but mostly I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. Wish you could stop over for tea and to knit or spin for an afternoon! jb

    ReplyDelete